Advertisement showing the four-story storefront for the hat manufactory established by Christopher H. Garden at 196, later 532 Market Street. The storefront is covered with signage and adorned with a large model hat marked with the street address "196." A patron enters one of the two open entryways of the business that are flanked by display cases of hats marked "Hats & Caps." Two other patrons stand near one of the cases across from a clerk in the store. The clerk pulls a hat from several displayed on shelves lining the shop walls. Rows of hats adorn the large display and upper windows of the building. Partial views of the adjacent businesses and the signage of the storefronts are also visible. Garden established his hat manufactory in 1843 and partnered with William Brown circa 1846-1850.
Tagged: , Library Company of Philadelphia , Lithography (Philadelphia, Pa.) , Philadelphia on Stone , Rease, W.H. , Wagner & McGuigan , Advertisements (Philadelphia, Pa.) , Hat industry (Philadelphia, Pa.) , Merchandise displays (Philadelphia, Pa.)