Title: Lutyens houses and gardens
Year: 1921 (1920s)
Authors: Weaver, Lawrence, 1876-1930
Subjects: Lutyens, Edwin Landseer, Sir, 1869-1944 Architecture, Domestic Gardens
Publisher: London, Offices of "Country life", ltd. [etc.] New York, C. Scribner’s Sons
Contributing Library: University of Connecticut Libraries
Digitizing Sponsor: LYRASIS Members and Sloan Foundation
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
were con-verted into living-rooms, and a new room added in what isnow the north court. Some cowhouses and a cottagewhich abutted on the east side were turned into kitchenand offices. Defects in the masonry were made good—if good is the word—by liberal applications of Portlandcement. This contrasted harshly with the lime-mortarand pebble-dashing with which the old walls had beenclothed long before in the manner so familiar in the harled walls of Scottish castles. It follows, therefore, that Sir Edwin Lutyens, who madehis first acquaintance with Lambay in 1905, found the castlesomewhat battered by time, and its history and characterobscured by restoration. His first act was to remove thecement roof, which had proved inefficient, to substitute greypantiles of delightful colour and texture, and to abolishthe iron down-pipes and gutters. The work was begunin 1908. The accommodation was very limited, and toenlarge the castle without destroying its character presented A Notable Plan 131
Text Appearing After Image:
93-—Lambay Castle : Plan of Ground Floor. 132 New Building Standing Free a difficult problem. The original castle was very primitivein its arrangements, but was left untouched except forslight internal rearrangements and for the rebuilding ofthe north-east side, which had already been subjected tosuccessive alterations. The ground-floor rooms were enteredon the north-west side, and only one fireplace openingexisted in the eastern end of the sitting-room. Various newfireplaces were provided (Fig. 97), and as the old entrance wascertainly where is now the door to the north entrance hall, itwas reopened. The lime-mortar and pebble-dash on theoutside of the castle walls was retained, for the masonrywas very rough. In connection with the making of the newstaircase in the castle proper, the middle part of the wallon the south-east front had to be reconstructed. In thecourse of the work it appeared that this front had beenoriginally recessed like the entrance front on the north-west.It wou
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.
Tagged: , bookid:lutyenshousesga00weav , bookyear:1921 , bookdecade:1920 , bookcentury:1900 , bookauthor:Weaver__Lawrence__1876_1930 , booksubject:Lutyens__Edwin_Landseer__Sir__1869_1944 , booksubject:Architecture__Domestic , booksubject:Gardens , bookpublisher:London__Offices_of__Country_life___ltd___etc__ , bookpublisher:_New_York__C__Scribner_s_Sons , bookcontributor:University_of_Connecticut_Libraries , booksponsor:LYRASIS_Members_and_Sloan_Foundation , bookleafnumber:138 , bookcollection:uconn_libraries , bookcollection:americana