Title: Italian gardens
Year: 1907 (1900s)
Authors: Elgood, George Samuel, 1851-
Publisher: London, New York, Bombay & Calcutta : Longmans, Green and Co.
Contributing Library: Cornell University Library
Digitizing Sponsor: MSN
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
ve, usually in batches, hot and dusty, conducted by someragged urchin who has been picked up by the way-side. They are notalways quite satisfied with the reality, after reading the novelists some-what inflated description of the place, and will indignantly demand tobe taken to the great lago^ thinking there is some conspiracy to defraudthem when they are assured there is no other. Yet the little pool ischarming enough if only they would take it as it is. Perched on the hill high above, on the way to Tusculum, is theVilla Rufinella, also built by Monsignor Rufini. It has passed throughmany vicissitudes, at one time being the property of Prince LucienBuonaparte, the only one of Napoleons brothers who had no ambitionto wear a crown. He enlarged the villa and amused himself by makinga Parnassus on the slope of the hill, over which presided the Apollo nowat the Villa Lancellotti. He had the names of all the great poets cut inmyrtle, a quaint device, more curious probably than beautiful. 52
Text Appearing After Image:
VILLA LANCELLOTTI Adjoining the Villa Aldobrandini, and sharing with it the same wellwooded hill-side, is the Villa Lancellotti. The dividing line betweenthe two villas is the rough mule track which passes by the CapuchinConvent and climbs up the shady road to ancient Tusculum. What little we can learn of its history is not specially interesting,nor does it help us to arrive at the date when first the villa was laid out. About the year 1590 the property was acquired by MonsignorAlfonso Visconti ; it was again sold in 1609 to Mario Mattel; in 1617it passed to Roberto Primo, a Pisan noble whose daughter carried it toher husband, Silvio Piccolomini, and in his family it remained untilabout the middle of the nineteenth century, when it was acquired byPrincipe Massimo-Lancellotti. Which of its earlier owners laid out thevilla and built the casino^ I have been unable to learn. Over an entranceto the villa are inscribed the words, petr : piccolomens : 1730, whichhelp but little to a solution
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.
Tagged: , bookid:cu31924064158870 , bookyear:1907 , bookdecade:1900 , bookcentury:1900 , bookauthor:Elgood__George_Samuel__1851_ , booksubject:Gardens , bookpublisher:London__New_York__Bombay___Calcutta___Longmans__Green_and_Co_ , bookcontributor:Cornell_University_Library , booksponsor:MSN , bookleafnumber:99 , bookcollection:cornell , bookcollection:biodiversity , bookcollection:americana , BHL Collection , BHL Consortium